Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Timely visit to Colarado's Capitol Building

Wherever I travel I like to pick up the local newspaper and browse through it to gain an idea of the community I am visiting. On this occasion, had that not been my habit, I would have missed the opportunity to see an important part of Colarado's beautiful and important building, known as The Capitol. When I turned to page five my eye caught a paragraph that reported that the Capitol Building Dome would be closed  the following day until the middle of 2014 for renovations and repairs. This information had me pulling on my outdoor gear, grabbing my camera and hurrying down the street to catch the next city bound bus and in a very short while I was standing in the park opposite this lovely building.

With the five-foot thick exterior walls of granite, here it is standing proudly with its gold dome dominating one end of downtown Denver.
Colarado State Capitol Building

The building was designed in the Corinthian style, similar to that of the National Capitol Building in Washington, by one Elija E  Myers. He was sacked before the building was completed which reminded me of the architect of the Sydney Opera house who was also sacked before completion. Not a secure profession - architects. Anyway, the names of the streets around were familiar to me and I discovered that they are the same as those around their Washington cousin, Grant, Colfax, Pennsylvania, Lincoln.

Due to the need to go immediately or miss out for a few years I did not have time to research this visit and so followed the sign to the visitors' entrance on the south side of the building, missing the front steps and the marker that exactly indicates Denver's one mile high status on the 13th step. Apparently there is also a marker indicating the same altitude on the 15th step, placed there  some time ago. Subsequent measuring in 1969 had a marker placed in the 18th step claiming this honour but again, in 2003, with more accurate equipment the 13th step won the title.

Glold Dome, Colarado Capitol State Building
This dome was originally made of copper and had problems with oxidization so, in 1908, gold was applied so that it now shines brightly. However, the 24 carat leaf thin gold  has to be replaced from time to time, as in 1950, 1980, 1991 and during the current renovation period. 

Once I had passed through a security check a sign indicated that I should take the lift to the first floor, which is where I would have come in had I come up the west entrance and seen the famous 13th step. I would also have seen the magnificent marble staircase in all its glory. 

It's a google image but it gives an idea of the magnificance of this marble staircase.

Instead I saw these lifts with engraved pictures of a bison, Indian teepees . . .

lift, Colarado State Capitol Building
 The building core was circular and there were murals telling Colarado's water story on one half and pictures of the Presidents of the United States on the other half.
Colarado State Capitol Building

From here, I walked up the wide staircase to the next level where the Legislative Chamber is housed. These stairs were really lovely and are made of a white marble which was quarried in Colarado. 
Legislative Chamber, Colarado state Government
Initially, I was surprised at the small size of this lovely room but I learned that  this State of just over 5 million has 65 representatives.
Rocky Mountain Painting
The chamber was really lovely with paintings around the carefully lighted walls. this one was above the Speaker's chair and above the painting was . . .
Picture above speaker's Chair, Colarado Legislative Chamber

. . . this one. I don't know who inspired this picture but it was very lovely!


After a time is the Legislative Chamber where I experimented with my newfound camera knowledge to obtain pictures in difficult lighting, I continued  up the cool stairs to Mr Brown's Attic. I have no idea as to the origin of that name but it was an information room and access to the 99 steps up to the dome.

Depiction of early Denver

Photo of the Colarado State Capitol under construction
After an interesting walk around the exhibits and pictures and a talk with the attendant the access door was unlocked for me and up to the dome cavern I went!

Looking down from a high place!
Inside view of the Dome

The open terrace was unsafe and barracaded off which was disappointing but ilustrated the need for urgent renovation and strengthening so I had to take pictures from the interior.
.

Looking toward the Rockies
The day had warmed up and I had discarded two layers of outer clothing but the sky was somewhat hazy and the Rockies not as clear as they often are.

One of the many downtown Denver churches
Although I asked several people, I was unable to name this church or cathedral and I didn't have time to visit it. It looks quite majestic despite being surrounded by buildings of lesser grandeur.

Dome Tower of Colarado State Capitol Building
In the above photo you can see the terrace that was closed to the public, being in a dangerous state.
Down town Denver with its State Capitol building glinting in the winter sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment