Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lake Burrinjuck to Batemans Bay

After five relaxing days at Lake Burrinjuck we were ready to move on so after an easy and early camp pull down we were soon on the Hume Highway from where we took the Yass exit to the Hume Highway where we stocked up on fruit, vegetables and wine. We had been to Yass several times during the past ten years and once again enjoyed a drive down the historic main street which features many old pubs, post and verandah style. Only about three of them are now functioning as pubs, the others have been converted into other business premises.
Yass Post Office, New South Wales
Yass means "running water", "Yharr" in the local Aboriginal language and the Yass River runs through the town. It is only 60 kilometres from Canberra and some of its 5600 population commute daily for work.

We then took the Yass Valley Way until we joined the Barton Highway which we followed for a further 14 km to Murrumbateman, a lovely rural village just thirty minutes from northern Canberra. It's a really picturesque village which we explored very thoroughly last year, and because a family member now has firm plans to live there, we'll visit regularly. There are many vineyards in the area which is growing quite rapidly as those who would like a more rural lifestyle begin to appreciate its friendly relaxed feel and close proximity to Canberra.
Murrumbateman on the Barton Highway
I took the photo above last June. The creek is now waterless, its bed cracked with deep fissures.
Cool Climate Wine, Murrumbateman
Most of Murrumbateman's population of around 1,800 and growing live on acreage and have a variety of animals, especially alpacas, sheep and horses.
Rural lifestyle at Murrumbateman
From Murrumbateman we then took the Bungendore Road which is a lovely drive through more vineyards. At the Gundaroo road intersection we turned off for another nostalgic visit to the old church, where our son and daughter in law were married three years ago, before crossing the Federal Highway and continuing on to Bungendore. A camera malfunction meant that I lost my own photos of Gundaroo.
Presbyterian Church, Gundaroo -wipedia
The road to Bungendore climbs quite steeply over some hills and there is a lovely view of the plains on the other side. No place to pull over for a photo though. We had been in Bungendore earlier in the year experiencing both greener landscapes and heavy frosts. This time everything was tinder dry and the wind searingly hot so, unwilling to get out of the car, we continued along the road now known as the Kings Highway towards Batemans Bay.
Near Bungendore
 Roadside rest areas are usually well sign posted several kilometres before you come to them so I lowered our speed to check out this one at the Shoalhaven River. Set well back off the road with tall eucalyptus and other gum trees, covered picnic tables and conveniences it suited us very well. We chose the shadiest table, pulled out our lunch which we managed to eat before an army of large black ants came to join our picnic. Leaving them to enjoy the crumbs we relocated to another spot and, noting that a coolish breeze [ well, not the really hot one that chased us off the lower plains] had arrived we went for a walk and found fifteen caravans or tents nestled under the tall trees - an informal camping spot.
Shoalhaven River, Kings Highway bridge



Owl in a Gum tree, Shoalhaven River rest area
 When I first noticed this and other "artwork" high up in the gum trees I was annoyed at the graffiti, thinking that they had been spray painted. Once I was directly underneath I realised that they were made of thin tin and tied on without damaging the trees.

Soon after leaving Braidwood the Kings Highway begins the climb through the southern end of the Budawang Range through two National Parks, the Bimberamala to the north and the Monga to the south. This part of the highway demanded maximum attention and energy plus all the skills I learned as a new driver travelling Arthur's Pass in New Zealand's South Island and the Rimutakas in the lower North Island. As I negotiated the bends that were often almost circular as well as steep I thought that this was to be the most challenging drive of the trip however it later lost that rating. The glimpses of the beautiful forests and massive cycads on the forest floor were just that - glimpses - as there were absolutely no places where I could stop. Ten kilometres after the beautiful riverside village of Nelligen the Kings Highway meets the Princes Highway close to Batemans Bay, on the mouth of the Clyde River.
Bridge across the Clyde River
As I drove across this bridge I noticed the functioning traffic lights at the end but it wasn't until I was near the centre that I realised that this bridge has a liftable span. Apparently it is still very much used with about 1000 lifts per year and a minimum of one hour's noticed needed to lift it. Amazing!

Knowing that Batemans Bay is a popular beach getaway for Canberrans I expected a larger more energetic town, especially as we were there at the beginning of the peak holiday season. Instead I found a quiet, even slow seaside village where our days exploring passed very pleasantly.

South Durass
South Durass
Cormorant on Clyde River, New South Wales
Oyster catcher on Clyde River, Batemans Bay
South Durass, New South Wales
This was our first experience of the beaches on the South Coast and with the small bays, heavy surf and massive rocks they reminded me more of some New Zealand beaches than those of Queensland. I enjoyed seeing the variety of water birds which sometimes stayed close by as I tried to photograph them with my elderly camera. Fortunately, as my usual 15 month old Canon Powershot G12 died at the lake, I had put this one in the camera bag at the very last minute.

We now had a firm arrangement to meet my sister to have a few days together so we now needed to leave Batemans Bay and head for Lakes Entrance in Victoria, some 450 kilometres away.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your travels and style of writing. Your G12 died ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Died! The problem is the main board so I am having it replaced for $400.I bought it on advice from three friends who have them because I didn't want to carry a heavy camera around and changing lenses seemed too fiddly for me. I'm now rethinking that.In the meantime I am using my old Fuji Finepix and handbag Canon.

    Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete